LASIK Vision Correction
LASIK is one of the most popular refractive surgical procedures performed today, with over 14 million Americans now enjoying clear vision as a result!
- Refractive surgery is defined as a method to improve a refractive error of the eyes such as nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism.
- LASIK is a refractive surgery that is performed to alter the shape of the cornea so light entering the eyes can land more directly on the back of the eye (the retina) so clear vision can be achieved.
- LASIK can greatly reduce or even eliminate your dependence on glasses or contact lenses and give you the ability to enjoy activities, sports and everyday life better than ever before!
Our LASIK Team
The team at the Eye Center of Northern Colorado has performed over 38,000 refractive surgery procedures, helping thousands of people see more clearly.
- Our LASIK physicians are board-certified and fellowship-trained, so you can rest assured that you will be placing your eye health in good hands.
What can LASIK do and not do?
- Most vision disorders are caused by irregularities in the shape of the cornea which is the outer part of the eye.
- LASIK has the ability to fix nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatisms by reshaping the cornea with a laser.
- Once the cornea is reshaped to fix your specific vision irregularities, you will able to see clearly without the aid of contacts or glasses.
- It should be noted that LASIK does not correct presbyopia which is a stiffening of the eye lens that occurs naturally as we age and causes the need for reading glasses.
- You may still need reading glasses at some point after LASIK.
THE LASIK PROCEDURE
- During the LASIK procedure, the surgeon will apply an anesthetic drop to numb the eye for surgery.
- Then a lid speculum will be used to hold the eyelid and prevent you from blinking during the surgery.
- The surgeon will create a thin corneal flap using a laser. Once the flap is created, the surgeon is ready to use the laser to reshape the cornea according to your unique needs.
- The surgery itself will take only minutes to complete on both eyes and it is virtually painless.
- Once the procedure is finished, the flap is positioned back in place, where it will heal quickly and without the need for stitches.
- Although your vision may be blurry at first, results are almost immediate; patients are generally able to see clearly in just a few hours.
BENEFITS OF LASIK
- The benefits of LASIK surgery can definitely outweigh the risks.
- For people leading an active lifestyle, the freedom of doing everyday activities without the hassle of contacts or glasses is greatly rewarding.
- Millions of LASIK candidates have found their vision is clearer and crisper than they ever imagined.
- Once you have undergone LASIK you may no longer have to worry about ordering more contacts or updating your glasses to match the latest styles. You will be able to wake up every morning and see the world clearly.
Call us today to schedule a free LASIK consultation to see if you are a candidate.