You’ve Been Diagnosed with Cataracts
Cataract surgery is currently one of the most commonly performed medical procedures, with over three million surgeries completed in the United States each year. It is performed as an outpatient procedure and can provide a wide range of vision correction options.
What to Expect with Cataract Surgery
- During cataract surgery, a small incision is made in the cornea.
- The Eye Center of Northern Colorado was the first practice in Colorado and one of the first in the country to implement revolutionary technology for this step: the LenSx® laser.
- Also known as laser-assisted cataract surgery, the LenSx laser allows our surgeons to automate some of the most challenging steps of cataract surgery using real-time, 3-D visualization for truly customized treatment. This results in better vision outcomes for our patients.
- After the incision is made, a small ultrasonic device is inserted in the incision.
- The lens capsule, which is the front part of the lens envelope, is opened so that the lens material can be removed.
- The small ultrasonic device inserted into the eye is used to gently wash away the hardened yellow proteins that cause the cataract while the material is simultaneously removed from the eye.
- Then a pre-determined Intraocular Lens (IOL) is inserted into the eye.
- This new lens will remain inside the eye, allowing light to be clearly focused on the retina and providing clear vision.
- It will not move and it can’t be felt or sensed in any way by the patient. Once the new lens is in place, where your natural lens used to exist, the opening will self-seal without the need for stitches.
Cataracts Surgery Options
During your cataract surgery, the doctors at Eye Center of Northern Colorado can also correct standard vision issues like astigmatism and presbyopia (the need for reading glasses). Our doctors offer a wide array of replacement lens options to help you receive the vision you want. For more information on your lens options, follow the link below:
Cataract Surgery RecoveryRecovery from cataract surgery is generally quick, with most people achieving better vision within the first 24 hours. Patients will have to administer medicated eye drops for the first few weeks after surgery.
If you have been diagnosed with cataracts, contact The Eye Center of Northern Colorado today to schedule a Cataract Consultation and learn more about surgical options.