The Eye Center of Northern Colorado Job Opportunities
The RN in Pre-Op/PACU provides expert professional nursing care during the pre and post-operative course. The RN assesses implements and evaluates the care of the patient. The nurse will assure that the patient is prepared for discharge to a home environment by providing the necessary education to the patient and their responsible caregiver.
- Work with members of the health care team to provide optimal care to the patient, throughout their surgical experience
- Maintain a friendly, positive and caring attitude with all patients, physicians and staff
- Maintain excellent physical and mental health
- Assist in patient education during all phases of their experience at the Eye Center
- Assist supervisor with preparation of budget
- Monitor the use if all supplies during the patient stay. Assist with inventory control and stock accordingly
- Document appropriately the care that is given to the patient
- Continue education to meet state requirements and keep current with health care
- Display professionalism at work and in the community, as a representative of the Eye Center
- Take an active role on committees within the department and throughout the clinic
- Identify actual and potential risks to patients and others and take action to minimize or eliminate risk and maximize safety
- Perform charge nurse responsibilities and staffing demands and as requested
- Make pre-op calls to ensure pre-op patient has all pertinent information for surgery including: NPO status, ride home, meds, etc.
- Prepare for the arrival of patients to the surgery center by making sure that proper supplies and equipment are available
- Review patient charts for health history and to assure that the necessary pre-operative evaluations have been completed. Make sure permission for surgery has been given
- Admit and prepare patients for surgery at the Eye Center. Provide ongoing information to the patient and their caregiver to assure that they understand and feel as comfortable as possible.
- Do assessment of patient, start IV and administer necessary medications as ordered
- Communicate with other health care team members to assure continuity of care in the Eye Center
- Receives patient into the recovery room after surgery. Assesses and evaluates the patient. Monitors the patient continuously during their recovery phase. Documents the status of the patients and administers care accordingly.
- Incorporates a sense of wellness by allowing the patient’s family to be reunited with them as soon as feasible and encouraging self-care by the patient
- Provides discharge instructions to the patient and their caregiver, asking for confirmation of understanding throughout the giving of instructions
- The RN will be able to sufficiently navigate NextGen and through electronic medical records
- The RN recovery will provide follow up, assessment for the patient by calling the patients at home according to protocol
- The RN will accept Charge Nurse responsibilities when needed (see Daily Charge Nurse Job Description)
- Accept other duties as assigned
- Assist in assuring that the equipment is functioning properly
Qualifications and Skills:
- Graduation from an accredited school of nursing
- Current Colorado state license
- BLS, ACLS (complete within 3 months), PALS (complete within 6 months)
- Two years of pre-operative, recovery room, intensive care or emergency room experience is desired
- Preferred accomplishments include experience in Ophthalmology Surgery
- The applicant must be able to communicate effectively and have the ability to work compatibly with all physicians and staff of the Eye Center
- Must possess strong organizational skills, be efficient and understand the importance of efficiency and cost-effectiveness in an ambulatory surgery setting
- Must have the knowledge and clinical skills to perform the above job duties
- Must be able to make quick assessments of patients and able to handle emergency situations effectively and quickly
- Previous experience in EMR preferred
- Must possess the ability to work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
The Eye Center provides many benefits for their staff members, such as health/dental/vision benefits, 401k/profit sharing, generous education allowance, paid vacation and personal time, along with many discounted services and other benefits.
If you believe you are our ideal candidate, then please e-mail us your resume and a cover letter telling us why you are interested in this position to email@example.com.