The Eye Center of Northern Colorado Job Opportunities
Patient Service Representative- Call Center
The successful Patient Service Representative for the Call Center will contribute to the fulfillment of the Eye Center’s mission statement by making appointments, verifying insurance participation, and being a welcoming voice for all patients calling the Eye Center by following established office guidelines and serving as a general information source for patients. Is able to work independently and as part of a team with little supervision. Is upbeat and positive, and adds to the dynamic of the department and to the Eye Center of Northern Colorado as a whole.
- Answers phone before the third ring.
- Always positive and friendly with patients, co-workers and anyone who calls into the Eye Center.
- Verifies patient information and confirms insurance information (including vision plans), and referral status.
- Obtains and retains knowledge of insurance company participation and requirements including when an authorization is needed, or when a referral is needed.
- Registers patients correctly in computer, providing consistency for patient listing and billing information- including name, DOB, address, phone number, email address, insurance with few errors.
- Answers general questions for patients following established guidelines.
- Assists with answering and triaging incoming telephone calls and routing according to established guidelines using the provided triage guide.
- Answers and screens telephone calls appropriately and gives non-medical instructions to patients in preparation for their visit to the office.
- Serves as primary appointment scheduler for all physicians and other resources in clinic, using the provided scheduling guide.
- Responsible for scheduling all in-office appointments.
- Maintains awareness of schedule and problem solves when needed.
- Answers questions regarding insurance billing and office financial policies.
- Assists patients as needed.
- Maintains the goal of providing the highest level of customer service to all patients.
- Assists in maintaining work area.
- Ensures confidentiality of medical records and patient information in accordance with HIPAA laws.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the team lead, including but not limited to:
- Calling patients on the cancellation list when openings become available, monitor cancellation list throughout the day.
- Calling patients through Brevium.
- Reschedules as assigned by the medical secretaries.
- Scheduling patients via Patient Portal requests.
- Mail failed fax reports as assigned by medical secretaries.
- Verifying VSP eligibility when scheduling to ensure that patient is not scheduled too soon, and that benefits are available. Schedules VSP patients at the appropriate location with the appropriate doctor.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills and application software.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated knowledge of English grammar and spelling.
- Effective in establishing and maintaining working relations with patients and staff.
- Possesses exceptional customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information (HIPAA compliance).
- High school diploma or GED.
- Previous experience in a medical office setting preferred.
- Word processing/computer scheduling experience.
- Knowledge of typical office work environment.
- Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Ophthalmic Technician/Medical Assistant
The successful Ophthalmic Technician will contribute to the fulfillment of the Eye Center’s mission statement by quality patient care and technical support of a Doctor/Technician team with minimal supervision.
- Patient intake and workup, following standardized protocol
- Ophthalmic diagnostic testing
- Patient counseling and education as needed
- Awareness of patient flow issues and ability to maintain efficient clinical flow
- Update daily schedule assessing no-shows and add-ins
- Scribing in a rotational pattern
- Answer and return phone calls and write scripts as requested by physicians and other departments
- Stocking and cleaning clinic as needed
- Facilitate patient experience by assisting physician in overall patient care
- Work within the confines of the Eye Center team by assisting other departments with answers to questions, patient triage, etc.
- Self-study is required to obtain/maintain ophthalmic technician certification within 18 months of employment
- Maintain a professional demeanor, including dress and work conversation
- Understand and solve patient complaints
- Maintain effective working relationships with other staff and doctors
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Current JCAHPO certification preferred
- AAS in Ophthalmic Medical Assisting or equivalent in work experience
- Prior experience in a fast paced medical office and in electronic health record preferred
- Superior customer service skills
- Effectively and empathetically communicate in both oral and written formats
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
The surgical technician participates in the care of the surgical patient in the operating room under the direction of the registered nurse. The technician will perform a variety of duties to prepare the OR suite for the patient. The technician will handle instruments, supplies and equipment needed during the surgical procedure. He/she will have knowledge of ophthalmic procedures and the ability to anticipate the needs of the surgeon. He/she will maintain the sterile field and ensure quality care during the procedure.
- Demonstrate a positive attitude and outlook in the workplace.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior in the workplace by exhibiting a high level of character and professional attitude.
- Will consistently demonstrate a high level of customer service in a compassionate, caring manner.
- Demonstrate attention to details in all aspects of work.
- Maintain excellent physical and mental health.
- Assist with properly positioning patient for comfort and safety as needed.
- Assure that proper supplies, instruments and equipment are available for the procedures.
- Assure that equipment is functioning properly.
- Scrubs, gowns, and gloves per ECNC Protocol.
- Sets up sterile field with instruments, supplies, equipment and medications/solutions needed for procedure and anticipates surgeon’s needs.
- Performs appropriate counts with circulator per ECNC Protocol.
- Gowns and gloves surgeon per AORN Guidelines.
- Helps in draping the sterile field.
- Passes instruments, etc., to surgeon during procedure per ECNC Protocol.
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during procedure.
- Assists with stocking supplies in the OR’s, Sterile Storage, Sterilization Area and Decontamination areas.
- Assists Materials Management Coordinator on a routine basis and to help cover PTO.
- Assist with Front Desk paperwork duties when assigned.
- Cleans and prepares instruments for sterilization.
- Sterilizes instruments according to ECNC Policies and Procedures, along with instructions for use.
- Assists other members of OR team with cleaning of room.
- Assists in prepping room for next patient, including facilitating the changing of anesthesia equipment.
- Seeks out continuing education opportunities and takes responsibility and initiative to complete.
- Ability to identify actual and potential risks to patients and others and takes action to minimize or eliminate risk and maximize safety.
- Knowledge of correct procedures in case of emergency and locations of emergency call system.
- Update physician Preference cards as needed.
- Monitors use of supplies and inventory and communicates appropriately.
- Adheres to ECNC Infection Control Policies and Procedures.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
- Working knowledge of ophthalmic surgical procedures, terminology, spelling, and punctuation.
- Demonstrates knowledge of sterile technique.
- Demonstrates knowledge of cleaning and preparing instruments for sterilization.
- Demonstrates knowledge of sterilizing instruments according to policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates a willingness and aptitude for learning new skills/technology as needed to perform job proficiently.
- Demonstrates knowledge of proper care and use of equipment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of location and proper storage of supplies and equipment.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and professional behavior at all times.
- Able to assist in the training and orientation of new employees.
- Demonstrates a willingness to assist other departments as needed.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent.
- Completion of the recognized program designated to train operating room technologists (this may include military training).
- AST certification is preferred.
- CPR is required.
The successful Optician will contribute to the fulfillment of the Eye Center’s mission statement by possessing exemplary patient/customer service skills, being highly motivated, energetic and able to multitask in a fast paced environment. In addition, the Optician will be highly skilled at preparing and fitting glasses, filling prescriptions, helping patients/customers choose frames, adjusting and fitting finished glasses, processing orders with optical labs, final inspection of order. The Optician is accountable and responsible for each patient order they process.
- Assists customers in choosing the most appropriate eyeglass frame, type of lenses, and lens features
- Measures customers accurately to make sure the glasses will fit properly
- Prepares orders for the ordering and fabrication of the eyewear so the lab can prepare, grind, edge, and insert lenses into the frames
- Processes and submits eyewear orders accurately to the wholesale labs
- Inspects all finished eyewear to make sure the prescription has been filled correctly and there are no defects present, follows up with lab if necessary
- Dispenses finished glasses to the patient/customer, making sure that they fit, are comfortable, and that patient satisfaction has been achieved
- Repairs patient’s broken frames, or assist them with the selection of a new pair of glasses
- Adjusts frames for the patient/customer who has come in for realignment
- Inspects, cleans, and maintains the frame inventory on display in the optical department
- Transmit information on the computer/internet to obtain insurance company approval for billing and processing
- Applies press-on prisms; both standard and compound
- Hand edges glass, plastic and polycarbonate lenses when necessary
- Tints plastic lenses when necessary
- Mounts and re-mounts drilled rimless eyewear
- Performs daily receiving of optical goods from various vendors
- Prepares orders daily for dispensing optician
- Follows up with vendors regarding late orders and back orders and keeps patient apprised of order status
- Coordinates shipment of frames to labs for assembly by labs
- Prepares RTV goods for shipment and tracks credits due from each vendor
- Performs daily balancing of patient payments to receipts
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties and responsibilities listed above.
- Demonstrated prior sales ability.
- Ability to multitask in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize work.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Superior ability to follow through.
- Basic Computer / Internet skills.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of High School Diploma or equivalent.
- ABO certification or mandatory certification through the American Board of Opticianry required within one year of employment.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the optical field.
- Previous optical background is preferred.
- Educational guidance and support for individuals in this field is provided to members of the National Academy of Opticianry (NAO) therefore, membership is encouraged.
Medical Insurance Billing Specialist
The successful Patient Accounts Representative will possess the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment. Critical thinking skills are a must in processing patient insurance, charge entry, payment information and in daily interactions with patients. Diplomacy and tact are required in interactions with patients, insurance companies and fellow workers. The typical day will require that a variety of tasks and responsibilities be carried out with a minimal amount of supervision. These include daily data entry, timely and accurate flow of insurance claim processing and posting of payments.
- Daily data entry and balancing
- Nightly Close
- File daily route slips
- Answer all phone inquiries and written insurance inquiries from insurance company or patient
- Aging (as assigned)
- Post insurance and/or patient payments
- Maintain an understanding of insurance requirements/contracts
- Assist Front Desk with billing and insurance questions
- Assist department coworkers with nightly close as needed
- Maintains proficient use and knowledge of computer system/software and other office equipment
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to process claims with speed and accuracy
- Ability to handle patients with diplomacy and tact
- Ability to handle carriers with diplomacy and tact
- Ability to acquire and understand medical (eye) terminology
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent, some college preferred
- Prior knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT coding
- Ophthalmology office experience is preferred
- I understand and accept the responsibilities that are defined in this job description.
Clinical Training Coordinator
The Eye Center of Northern Colorado is seeking a Clinical Training Coordinator. The successful training coordinator will facilitate the accomplishment of the Eye Center’s mission statement through continual development and implementation of quality eye care with patient satisfaction in mind. By providing training to new staff and coordinating training for existing technicians, the training coordinator will be instrumental in shaping ECNC’s future for technicians. The coordinator will strive to be an exceptional example for all staff members by exhibiting the highest levels of professionalism, ethics, efficiency, quality care, and accountability.
• Train new technical staff to proficiency in skills and didactic learning.
• Coordinate new technical staff schedules with technician supervisor.
• Oversee the training process including, but not limited to, skills check off, grading tests, creating documents for the trainees.
• Participate in orientation of technical staff.
• Create educational programs for existing staff members.
• Organize and facilitate training team meetings quarterly for the enhancement of the training process within the clinical department.
• Plan of annual CE event for technical personnel.
• Work with clinical director to facilitate resident shadowing throughout ECNC.
• Act as liaison with Front Range Community College to coordinate clinical rotation for students.
• Participate in the interview process for new staff.
• Coverage for patient care on an “as needed” basis.
• Participate in job fairs and other opportunities to highlight ECNC and the career of ophthalmic assisting.
• RMOP liaison for ECNC.
• Travel to other facilities to arrange training or evaluate staff skills.
• Meet with Leadership Team in the clinical department to align purpose with ECNC and Clinical Director.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Current JCAHPO certification at a COT level or as a COA pursuant of COT level.
• Proven, exceptional technical skills in the clinic.
• Prior experience in a fast-paced medical office and in electronic health record.
• Superior customer service skills.
• Effectively and empathetically communicate in both oral and written formats.
• Strong communication skills.
• Creativity and flexibility in the development of projects.
• Impeccable attention to detail.
• Positivity and enthusiasm about ophthalmology and the technical role in an ophthalmology practice.: NPO status, ride home, meds, etc.
The Eye Center provides many benefits for their staff members, such as health/dental/vision benefits, 401k/profit sharing, generous education allowance, paid vacation and personal time, along with many discounted services and other benefits.
If you believe you are our ideal candidate, then please e-mail us your resume and a cover letter telling us why you are interested in this position to email@example.com.